Friday, November 13, 2015

Today I Must Look


Today I Must Look

Red leaf, the color hard to describe
When I look closely there are many variations

Some tart red
Some wine
Some in transition, red to wine
Like the miracle

Too soon the red will change to clay brown
And so today I must look

And tomorrow, in the midst of winter
When the brown seems muddy and old
I must remember
The red is there, too

These leaves hold on tightly
Waiting, waiting all winter

Until the new growth comes
And releases them
They take flight and become
The soil that feeds all color

3 comments:

Marilyn Miller said...

Steph,
I love your writing here.
The images created are a delight.

Mom said...

Wonderful poem. Takes after Mom!

Angela McRae said...

Wish this tree were nearby. My husband was disappointed in our fall because he didn't see many pretty red leaves! (I don't guess I did either, but I like the golds just fine.)