Tuesday, July 29, 2014

Fly Awake Tea Garden


Kevin, brewing tea at Fly Awake Tea Garden

One could call Fly Awake Tea Garden a dream come true for Arati and Kevin, the owners.  I mean that rather literally because they both use dream work as a tool in their lives (and help others learn to do so).  But that doesn't mean the journey was easy.  Kevin and Arati worked very hard on the practicalities of making this dream a reality.  For example, dealing with zoning and construction and all the minutia of starting a business.

So what exactly is this space?  It's several things at once.  To start, it's a mobile tea cart that serves tea in the garden in nice weather and tea in the converted garage when it's rainy or cold.  Beyond that, it's a community space, a performing arts space, a discussion group space, a hangout for the regulars and a welcoming space for first-time visitors like me.


Come rain...

I visited recently, expecting to spend a half hour with a bit of tea. I ended up staying an hour and a half, enjoying my conversations with the other tea drinkers.  We discussed tea, of course, but also the making of fig preserves and lacto-fermented foods, the precarious position of tea drinking culture in the US, lucid dreaming and much more.


Or shine...peaceful tea-drinking space is there!

I hope to return soon!

6 comments:

Geoff said...

I had no idea this place existed. Must go!

Rosemary said...

This sounds like an amazing place. Thank you for sharing!

Angela McRae said...

I would have enjoyed this for the tea but also for the dream discussions! I believe "lucid dreaming" is something I do sometimes but have never quite been able to articulate!

Teafan said...

Oh now that sounds really interesting! And I love places that bring in artists and performers, too.

Marilyn Miller said...

Now I would love visiting here. Curious as to where it is located.
Or is it a hidden gem that we must discover?

Marilyn Miller said...

PS - now I do remember I have heard of this tea cart, but forgot to check it out. I must go.