Friday, February 22, 2013

Genmaicha on a Rainy Day


I've just come in from the rain + wind + cool.  What a welcome sight, this plum tree branch and my small tetsubin pot (enameled, not traditional) full of steaming genmaicha. 


Genmaicha means brown rice tea.  It's sometimes called "popcorn tea" - you can see why. ;-)  The puffy kernels are actually roasted brown rice that has popped in the roasting process.  The green tea is typically sencha.  The flavor is nutty and savory, almost like a broth.  It was the perfect tea to warm my bones today.

Do you have a favorite tea to drink on a cold day?  Have you had genmaicha?  Do you like it?

6 comments:

Teafan said...

I do love genmaicha, but haven't had it in a long time. Time to get some.

Marilyn Miller said...

I also do like genmaicha, but don't usually keep any in the cupboard. I sometimes order it when I am out and about. It would be nice for a cold day. Just about any robust, hot tea would be wonderful on a cold day. Today I mixed it up a bit with part English Breakfast and part Lapsang Souchong.

Marlena said...

Genmaicha is the only Japanese tea I like and I really like it. If it's nasty cold and wet, I love Masala Chai, just warms me through and through

Karen said...

What lovely photos, Steph! Lately, I've been enjoying teas with a bold flavor on a rainy day. Either a Keemun with burgundy notes or a very malty Assam.

Angela McRae said...

I have had genmaicha and didn't care for it, but I "appreciate" it, if that makes sense! It's certainly an interesting tea, and everyone ought to at least give it a try for the experience, I think!

Allison said...

I love, love, love genmaicha! Perfection in a cup. :-)